Monday 14 April 2014

Quilt Convention Part Two

Where do I start? It is such a great honour and privilege to be asked to teach at AQC and this year was the third time for me. My schedule meant that as always I didn't have any new work completed to teach, so instead it was a Mystery Quilt based on this historical Mughal textile from the Victoria and Albert Museum…..this is a detail of the original embroidered floor spread…...
and now that the mystery is over I can finally reveal my quilt…..minus the embroidered corners which I will possibly do on the way to the UK in July!!…..




One of the highlights of AQC is the gala dinner and what an event it always is. This is the night when the eagerly awaited awards are announced. The building at night…….

 and the delightful Jennie Rayment from the UK dressed for the occasion!…….
The entertainment is always sensational and it opened with these amazing drummers…...


Those who had attended every AQC were awarded a special memento to celebrate their loyal 10 years…..


 The MC was Editor of the Australian Women's Weekly Helen McCabe - a first time for her and I think she was a little overwhelmed with our enthusiasm!
 And all the way from Switzerland was Mr Ueltschi of Bernina especially for the 10th year of AQC….wow!

After main course the Best of Australia quilt winner was announced. Janet Treen of New South Wales was the well deserved winner with her beautiful quilt 'Rings and Roses'
 Now the rest of the night is a total blur apart from these gorgeous performers……...

 And then the nerves took over. Some months back I had been a part of the nomination process for our lovely friend Faye Packham for the Lut Da Award. Lut Da is the aboriginal word for 'to give' and a more giving person you will never meet. Faye's adult daughter has an intellectual disability and if it wasn't for the Bedford Group Lauren wouldn't be employed or be living in her own home (along with her devoted Mum, Dad and brother). So with Lessa Siegele's help the Bedford Mystery Quilt Challenge was launched some years ago. In a short time over $100,000 was raised so we were all pretty sure this would be fitting for this award. So with fingers crossed and with winks to my Guild colleagues we waited with baited breath….and then it happened! I am sure everyone could hear the shouts from Melbourne to Adelaide! It was an absolute thrill…love you and all you stand for Faye xxx
 So what happened next…..well the Shining LIght award had already been given to a talented young lady and then it was time for the Rajah Award to be announced. Well it is only a few days ago that I shared with you that Lessa Siegele was one of the early recipients of this award and that she had reproduced the very famous Rajah quilt. The website for the award states that …..This award will acknowledge an outstanding contribution to quilting in Australia, whether it be a contribution as a quilting teacher, designer, author, historian, guild worker, retailer, etc or a combination of work in several of these areas. This award is called the ‘Rajah Award’ in tribute to the historic Rajah quilt made by convict women en route to Australia in 1841.

For the last four years I have predicted the recipient but I have to tell you I was way off this year!! It started with a few brief bits of information about the nominee….."This quilter had done charity work, been a member of her Guild for a long time, served on committees for her Guild, had written two books, had designed three ranges of fabrics………and then something was mentioned about tours overseas……..yes Helen Bertram…..it was me!!!! My head went in my hands - a major angina attack erupted…... how could I get up on that stage…..no speech prepared….no way could it be me!!! The previous recipients were lined up on stage to welcome me and as I write now I have tears flowing down my face as I cannot believe I am looked upon as "one of them". My first words in that microphone were that I was 'too young' for this…but what I really meant was that I have looked up to all of the other Rajah Award winners for so very long and I just couldn't possibly be 'one of them'! 



 With no tissue on me I sniffled and then did the proverbial disgusting nose wipe on the back of my arm……...





 When I finally composed myself it was fitting to have a photo with Faye and the beautiful Judy Newman of Expertise Events…….
Well I think it was real because I brought home this very heavy trophy (about 5 kgs of crystal I think!!)……..

I have been overwhelmed with emails and messages so I will leave with these words which I left on Facebook today …..I am totally overwhelmed and humbled by all your wonderful emails and messages of support - thank you. My quilting journey as many of you know has been totally unexpected and unplanned - but at the end of the day it is the people in our industry…….my quilting buddies, all the students I have met and all the amazing support from the industry, that have carried me along the way. If it wasn't for all of you (and maybe a touch of William Morris!) then I wouldn't be where I am today….thank you, thank you, thank you xxxxx 

24 comments:

  1. With my very warmest congratulations Michelle, on having this award bestowed on you. It is indeed very well deserved. Your passion and enthusiasm has inspired so many throughout the world. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! well deserved - love your patterns and books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you and your work for quilters everywhere. You deserve it and so many of us are blessed to know you and love you. Margaret in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, I am thrilled for you to receive this award! It is well deserved - and all the better, that you were so gobsmacked! Keep up your amazing work, because you're too young to get the Rajah award, that just means you have so much more to do!
    hugs, cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful, Michele. Congratulations! They chose just the right person for the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations and well deserved for this and all you share with the quilting world.natalie at loxton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Michelle, and so very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heartfelt congratulations Michele!!! Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have related that making a nomination is like being the quilter for someones quilt. The excitement is there as it is for the nominee. How wonderful Michele for you to experience both sides this year. To have Lessa there and to share this special time so closely with Faye. You are a wonderful representative of the value and joy found in quilting when shared with others. Everybody wins. Very well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Michele - it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Well done, it is a small token I'm sure for all the lives that you and your work have touched.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Michelle. You really deserve this award because you write and design wonderful patterns and fabrics. I do hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extreme congratulations Michele. I am soo pleased for you. And, yes I can imagine your reaction. I could feel it as I was reading your words. See I was justified in saying you were No 1 on my Bucket list.

    Love and best wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh, I came up all goosebumpy... love the action photos, manic grin, snot and all! Couldn't have been given to a more enthusiastic quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michele,
    How exciting to be recognized for all of your work. Congratulations! Well deserved!

    Marge

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Michele, your shock and delight at winning this award was infectious, I think everyone was so thrilled for you. A most deserved honour indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very well deserved, Congratulations. As a complete non-quilter about 5 years ago I rashly purchased your wonderful Kelmscott kit at the Perth Craft show and with help from some wonderful friends (are there any other sorts in the quilting world?) I slowly hand appliqued the blocks and made the quilt. I was so thrilled by it that I sent you a photo and you were so encouraging that I feel that you are a part -a big part of my quilting journey. So once again thank you so much for all you do for Australian quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How exciting! You truly deserve to be recognized for your contribution to the quilting world. Your quilts were what inspired me to look into the quilting world in Australia and remain some of my favorites. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Michele this is truly so well deserved. You have enriched the quilting landscape in Australia and for all of us there is now a greater appreciation for the art of William Morris. I am pleased with myself when I notice a Morris design and that is thanks to your passion. You have given us all so much. Congratulations! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  20. Michele congratulations on winning such an honorable award! So very well deserved... Appreciate all that you share that inspires us so!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just heard the big news (I am a little behind as usual!) Congratulations on the big award - you deserve it. I can only imagine the number of quilter who have been inspired by your work. We are all so proud of you!!! Warmest Wishes, Jason and In The Beginning Fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! Congratulations Michele! I'm so happy that you won the Rajah, it is very well deserved! I love the mystery quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have just read of your fantastic recognition for all your hard work. If William was alive today you can only imagine what he would have to say.. You have always been an inspiration in my quilting expeditions.. Well do to you...
    Regards,
    Chris McRae
    Victor Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am happy you won the award as well as you are all that the award is about.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x