Tuesday 19 March 2013

Time to stitch

I'm home again after an enjoyable weekend at Hawkesbury Quilters retreat and I am now really looking forward to a few weeks off from teaching with time to stitch. Last night I started working on the project for Nicola Jarvis and Easter will be a quiet time for stitching that too. The retreat was fun as it always is especially at 'show and tell' where all the tutors try to outdo each other from the year before! Here are a few quilts from that fun filled night.......Lessa has been attending as a tutor for the whole 21 years of the camp's history, so as their patron she 'opens' the event........
The expectation is that participants will bring their finished work from the previous year....so below are a few shots. First is from Lessa's class last year...
 Faye's scrap quilts always glow......
 Amanda Daly's students......
 Gina Burgess had designed a template free curved design.
The Dr Seuss quilt was a great hit and you can see it 2nd from the right.....
 Pam Furness's work.....she is certainly entertaining to be around!
 A couple of girls from my workshop last year..........

 Creations from the lovely Kay Haerland who is sadly giving teaching away this year - I will miss her smiling face and I am sure many others will too.....
 These gorgeous scrap quilts were the workshop for this year from Faye....
 This year my class was all about repeat patterns from historical tiles. It was great to see such diverse use of fabrics and it is always so exciting to see the different patterns emerging by rotating the blocks around. The four blocks are eventually mounted on four artist canvases so they can be displayed on the wall and then rotated when you are bored with the pattern!




Thanks to the committee for asking me once again and thanks also to all the girls who joined me for the weekend - see you next year!! I was most impressed with these two girls who turned up with the wine, nibbles and deck chairs!!
While  I was away the Geltwood Festival was opened in the gallery where my quilts are hanging....the photos and story are HERE. It was kind of strange seeing people standing amongst my work when I wasn't there but kind of serendipitous seeing as Elaine couldn't be there either to give Peter the Wagga she had made for him.......very sad. These photos are from that newspaper article......

And the library snuck a few shots on the day we were hanging.....(not good seeing the size of one's rear end though!!!)

I'm not sure if this link will work but if you are on Facebook the Millicent Gallery and Library have 20 photos of the open night as well. Try HERE

Many of you know that I have been visiting a nursing home for the last four years since my Mother died.....possibly because I missed having an older person in my life but also missing my nursing career. Sadly the lady who became my "pseudo Mum" died peacefully last night. It was such a privilege and honour to share Betty's life through our many conversations and it was even more of an honour to have Betty's daughter phone me yesterday morning to tell me her Mum was seriously unwell in hospital. To be treated like one of the family was so special and I thank Margaret from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to be a part of her Mum's life too.  I will never forget Margaret's words as she shared how much I meant to Betty and how much Betty looked forward to my weekly visits and postcards when we were away. It is also such a privilege to be able to say farewell when you can get the chance. I was so lucky I had that chance to say goodbye and thank Betty for what she has given me. I will miss you so much Betty and my thoughts are with all your family xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x