Saturday 12 October 2013

Time on my own

Now from time to time every partnership (no matter how devoted), does need their own space.......so Larry's space was the British Museum and mine.......the Knitting and Stitching Show! It was only a couple of weeks ago I realised I was going to be in London when it was on and it is apparently the biggest stitching event in the UK - and a great day it was. It is held at Alexandra Palace, fondly known as "Ally Pally"......and I thought it was only Australians that shortened names!.....
 Entry fee was 15 pounds (AU$25 which makes our show entries quite a bargain at $15).......




There were many featured artist spaces but I didn't photograph them not knowing if you could or not. But the British Quilters Guild had a small selection of quilts which were wonderful and with permission I did get some photos. Below is a Group quilt - 3D folded with a view one way........
 detail......
 and then the view looking the other way....very clever.............


 detail.........

and this is for you Rachelle Denneny.............it can't have been more than 10 inches square!......













The venue reminded me a little of the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne where we have the Australasian Quilt Convention. There were crowds of people and traders.........

 These girls went all out with their outfits and matching embroidered trolley cases..........

 There was an extraordinary number of young people which was fabulous to see....and many spaces for them to sit and stitch.............
And this photo is especially for you Dot and Jan in Victoria. Helen asked me to get a photo today to send to you.....so here is the amazing Sue Hawkins (and I came away with one of her beautiful medieval style upholstered embroidery frames). I know you will have fun with her here next year.........
Now there was one special artist display and it was right at the entry. And yes it is the Nicola Jarvis and May Morris exhibition that we saw at the William Morris Gallery only a few weeks ago!
 Nicola is holding the cushion............

 The William Morris wallpaper really enhanced the whole display..........

 This is Brian Hunt stitching...... 
 and his cushion........
The space was reflected on the other side with mirrored panels...........


 and such a thrill for me to be a part of it all..........
So all in all it was a great day. It was very wet when I left as we waited patiently for the shuttle bus.......more adventures tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x