Sunday 12 June 2016

Frosty but fabulous

It is no secret that Larry and I both prefer winter to summer especially where we live, so with chilly days there has been a lot of comfort stitching going on as Larry continues to rest his knee. I decided to stitch some personalised thank-you gifts for generous people who hosted us on our recent road trip. I would not normally share pictures before the gifts have been received but today I found myself sending photos to recipients as one parcel has already got lost! I have had such bad luck with postal services so this time I used a courier service. I used tracking and was pleased that a few days ago one parcel had been left "at the front door," but clearly it was the wrong front door as the package is now missing! It so saddens me but I am hopeful it will be found and that the other two packages get to their destination. So first up for Kay on Norfolk Island - I took a photo of her fabulous upholstery fabric cushions so appliquéd a version to join them. The original cushion below reminds me of the 1970's and I love it.......... and then my appliquéd version..........


Barbara had a beautiful guest suite furnished in black with yellow accents, so I photographed the curtains to find a motif and the chair that just needed a cushion.........


 Then on the farm with Leanne I noticed a beautiful victorian style green velvet chair that I thought might like a cushion! This was the room where Larry found himself at home and inspiration for the cushion came from the door of another piece of beautiful furniture in their home..............


 So for now I must wait nervously for all three gifts to reach their final destination. With the cold weather there has been lots of soup making along with some chunky beef and rosemary pies which Larry always loves.........
 We also had a funeral this past week for a friend's father and while searching for photos of him I came across the friend and myself taken in the mid 1970's when we were both nursing students........I so loved those Laura Ashley dresses and I should have kept mine as they now sell for well over $200 on eBay!........
 
I've also been creating another treasure box this time very reflective of William Morris.........


 Yesterday we had the little ones all day so today we are both 'resting' knowing that we all had a lovely day (and last night they were both fast asleep for their parents by 7pm!). They are both growing so fast and I cannot believe Maisie will be two in just a few short weeks. Photos from my phone are never as good as the camera but still great to have........
 Maisie adores the doll's house and she enjoyed setting up a tea party......such delicate little hands pouring tiny china cups of tea..........




 We always love the beach in winter as it always so quiet and without the wind very restful. So with jackets and beanies, sandcastles and shells we then finished with a play at the nearby playground.........














 Then some quiet time after a very busy day........life is good...... 
Hope life is being good wherever you are too x

4 comments:

  1. you have had bad luck with your postal service haven't you - sorry about that and hope your packages eventually arrive to their destinations. I bet it is a joy to have the grandchildren now and then for a day but at their young age I'm sure you are glad to hand them back to their mom and dad at the end of the day :) the beach looks beautiful and peaceful when empty doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly couriers don't get the concept that they are carrying precious cargo! Having said that a big business incorrectly sent my husband a parcel to our old address in Adelaide recently and the new owners "returned to sender" and it finally ended up in Western Victoria. Love winter too! Love your cushions, such a great idea to give a cushion that personal touch that matched their decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have the worst luck with postage. What lovely gifts you have made, do you have extra hours in your day or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that yellow striped cushion. You're so nice to take notice of your surroundings and create customised cushions as gifts. I'm sure they will be appreciated (when they finally reach their destinations).

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x