Sunday 11 June 2017

Quilting in Charleville

I've just had the most wonderful two days with members of Charleville Quilters and my sides are sore from all the laughing! Such a great bunch of girls who get together every week and sometimes more often....and why wouldn't you with a space like this.........
 This is a purpose built facility built just for the quilt group and provided by the local council....just fantastic! They have all those wonderful chairs to sit on, power cords overhead and the tables were recycled and repurposed school desks and I discovered late today that some members painted the legs for identification and to claim ownership!!........
 It is so obvious how much support they receive from the community and other artists have their own spaces as well as I noticed a door to the Potters, the Silversmiths and even a Music room. Soon there will be a large art gallery as well. Amongst some recycled pieces in the storage room was this massive Lightbox - a rescued x-ray viewing box from the local hospital...and it was going to be discarded!....
I was made to feel so welcome and of course country quilters put on the most impressive morning teas and lunches - just what the waist doesn't need but oh so delicious.........


 This sponge must have been a foot high and as light as a feather........


I was so busy having fun that I forgot to take any photos of all the stitching that was achieved but perhaps that means a successful workshop! One of the members (Gay), has a quilt business from home and hosts retreats from time to time as well - Spring Hill Country Craft Retreat. Gay also has open days and I even found a video about that on this link HERE, so if you are ever in the area do drop by as I know you will be very warmly welcomed. Sadly our day is a long drive tomorrow so we won't have time to visit........
Thanks so much girls for inviting me - I have such great memories now especially of all the laughing! While I was busy Larry explored the town and took some images for us from about town......


 A very dry creek/river....they are desperate for rain up here.........





 Very wide roads through town.........










 And this is where we were hidden in the building beyond all that red soil!.......

 Gorgeous stained glass in one of the pubs......





 So tomorrow we head off on another very long day of driving so it is time to say thank you for dropping by and time for me to tuck up for a good sleep. I will dream of family at home and enjoy some recent photos of what they've been up to while we've been away, with Maisie first up with one of her little cousins...she sure has a maternal touch.......


2 comments:

  1. what a set up for a small town to have for it's quilters! that is so nice - and all the lovely food brought out for the workshop day is a plus of course. Looks like fun - and Larry was able to entertain himself as well wandering around town so that was good. On to your next point - have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. The classroom looks like a dream set up!! I love how you capture the essence of the towns you visit through your photographs.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x