Thursday 31 August 2017

Quilting in Wellington

Tuesday was the day Larry and I flew to New Zealand as I had been invited to the Craft and Quilt Fairs in Wellington and Hamilton. From Adelaide we took a two hour flight to Sydney and then a three hour flight to Wellington. I was a little nervous about landing but it was very smooth and there was no need for the nerves. Wellington is known as the windiest city in the world and landing planes can be very tricky (and bumpy!), but what a wonderful place it is despite the cold wind and the rain. In the scheme of things five hours flying time seems short after all the long hauls to the UK. We say we are just 'across the ditch' so not far from home at all........ and everyone is so, so friendly.......just pull out a map and they flock to help you! And even better - if my ticker plays up we have reciprocal medical support between Australia and New Zealand. We're staying in the city centre so we have a 20 minute walk to the train station and then a 25 minute train journey to the venue......so some sights along the way......

 I love these Edwardian style buildings alongside the 'beehive' Houses of Parliament.........
 The train station........


 We set up the quilts yesterday but the lighting was tricky for photography......


 I wanted my space to be like my sewing room at home so made up some pretend Morris curtains behind me so I am set up to stitch........

 Some samples are 'in progress' alongside my original sketches.........

 And this is the biggest cheese scone I have ever seen...it lasted all day long with my two coffees! Not very healthy but oh so delicious........
 It is always so special when quilters bring their own Morris quilts in for me to see.........
 Next to me is Stephanie who creates the most wonderful kits and patterns. There are Santas, dolls and delightful bears..........



 and lots of cats (just for you Faye!).......

and bunnies and dogs and more........

 I love these penguins.......
 and the wonderful Santas..........
 All of these patterns and kits are on Stephanie's website Cameron James designs and the kits are great value for money...there are a couple coming home with me! I have Wellington Quilters sitting opposite me and the other side of me Cook Strait Embroiderers........

 So I have wonderful company for two more days with lots of interesting visitors as well. More soon x

3 comments:

  1. three days of sitting and sewing and showing how you do things sounds wonderful - that scone is huge LOL I can see why it lasted you all day long. Would love to see New Zealand one day. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, NZ is on the top of my bucket list after Italy. So creative how you set up your space. Would loved to have been then and seen you in person as well as your quilts. So love that little penguin. I may have to buy the kit to make and remind me of my visit to study them in 86. Your photos as always are super. Blessings, and hi to Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see lots of cute knitting in your future! Love those penguins. I hope you have brought a copy of Oddball to watch with the grandies, such a great kids movie, set in country Victoria.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x